Religions are founded in a city of major nations, becoming the Holy City of that religion. Religions can spread to other cities & tribal sites and be adopted by individual characters, families, tribes and whole nations. The religion's opinion towards a nation affects the discontent in cities with followers of that religion. Some laws (like Orthodoxy or Divine Rule) change the way religions are spread and adopted. Other laws (like Monotheism or Holy war) add to the benefits of having followers in cities.
A national religion (such as Assyrian Paganism, Roman Paganism, etc.) is founded when the first shrine of each nation is built. It spreads to other cities only by building shrines of that religion in them. National Religions cannot recruit disciples or establish Theologies, unless adopted as a State Religion (using Divine Rule law).
World Religions are founded when:
- The first nation completes the required condition for founding the religion (detailed below) , or
- A Nation founds the Clerics' Family Seat (only available for Assyria, Egypt & Persia in the base game), or
- Through a cultural or other event ("Moses" event, for example, founds Judaism)
Once founded in a certain city, these religions passively spread to nearby cities and tribal sites. Cities with followers of a world religion can use its growth output to produce Disciples - civilian Units that can perform these actions:
- Build unique improvements in cities with followers - Temple, Monestary, Cathedral
- Build the unique "Wonder" of each religion in its Holy City
- Spread the religion by traveling to a city with no followers (consumes the unit)
- Establishe a Theology, if adopted as State Religion (consumes the unit)
|Name||Condition to found||Chance to spread||Unique Wonder|
|Zoroastrianism||10% / turn||The Adur Burzen-Mihr
|Judaism||10% / turn||The Temple of Solomon
||15% / turn||The Church of the Holy Sepulchre
||15% / turn||The Cao'an
These tenets of belief can be added to a global religion, adopted as a state religion, by a disciple following that religion. Only 1 theology of each tier may be added. Adding a theology also increases the chance for the religion to spread by 5% per year.
Tier 1 Theologies
Tier 2 Theologies
Tier 3 Theologies